How Do I Get an NJP Removed?

Posted by Don King | Mar 31, 2021 | 0 Comments

Marine's Question: "I received a DUI in February 2018 and it was completely taken care of by March of 2018. I received NJP on August of 2019. In Section 0124 of the JAGMAN addresses Marines being referred to court-martial or subject to NJP after they have been tried domestic or foreign criminal courts. With the Misconduct already being adjudicated or diverted out in town, and there was no approval by GCMCA and notification to HQMC (JAM). How could I get this removed?"

Mr. King's Response:

"Great question. First, make sure that GCMCA approval wasn't received (it may have been and you just aren't aware). Next, you may be able to either appeal the original NJP on these grounds (refer to JAGMAN 0116) or ask to "set aside" the NJP (see JAGMAN 0118 and Part V of the Manual for Courts Martial). Both of these options will require that you show "good cause" for asking for this relief so long after the original NJP, but an experienced military attorney can analyze your case to see if such "cause" exists. I encourage you to reach out to one of us for more in-depth legal help. Good luck!"

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


KML Main Page

At KML, we focus on Courts Martial, Appeals, Administrative Hearings, Correction of Military Records Discharge Upgrades, and Security Clearance Issues. Unfortunately, we are not able to assist with family law issues (such as divorce, child custody, etc.). We recommend you contact your local base legal office for assistance with these matters.


Marines Deployed

We know that our clients are stationed around the world and in every timezone. We will ALWAYS take the time to provide a free initial consultation to Sailors, Soldiers, Marine, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen or members of their families. While Don tries to answer every call himself, if he is unavailable, a staff member may answer your call and connect you with Don. If all staff are assisting clients, your voicemail or text will be monitored and you should receive a near immediate response, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance (you are in custody, etc.), please utilize text and let us know you need help immediately. Overnight, overseas, or locally--we're available where you need us, when you need us.